Algolia is looking for a Technical Writer to work in Paris to create high-quality documentation for its API and software libraries. You will be working closely with other tech writers as well as software engineers and product managers to produce content for a wide audience.
Our documentation is online and open-sourced. The Algolia API and open source projects are used by over 4000 customers and 10,000 developers, designers and product builders.
We are building a team of writers. Algolia relies in great part on its engineers to write technical content. This will not change, but as we grow and diversify our software and client-base, we need more writers. So we are expanding our Tech Writer team.
We rely on our writers to take leadership and ownership of the documentation. You will be writing general overviews, detailed guides, API reference pages, and tutorials. You will be encouraged to think creatively, to collaborate with product managers, designers, and marketers to help develop content around Algolia’s features, including writing white papers and blogs.
Can you adapt your writing to different kinds of readers? Can you communicate complex material in simple and engaging language? Are you comfortable with understanding code? Do you love to write?
Join us and help make documentation as much a part of the Algolia experience as software.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Create technical content that shows developers how to use Algolia and how to get the most out of their Algolia implementations
- Review technical content that has been written by other teams like Developers, Solutions Engineers or Developer Evangelists
- Create guidelines for each type of content to help other team members write quality content on their own
- Create and maintain a voice and tone guideline
- Harmonize our content across all our documentation
- Analyze support tickets to see where the documentation is lacking
- Help build the technical writers team
- Provide feedback on the API, API clients, UI library documentation and products functionalities
- Get involved in writing blogs, white papers, and working with our education and marketing teams to generate public content.
A typical morning for Peter looks like "As a technical writer among many engineers, I often write on the 8th floor overlooking the rooftops of Paris. In the summer, I'll sit outside and write. For a change, I'll sit in the large Bridge - our kitchen area where I can start up conversations with any one of Algolia's 200+ employees. Our Doc Squad functions on autonomy and teamwork. Our team meetings combine many talents and a good back-and-forth dialogue. The team consists of UI expertise, product knowledge, and many technical writing perspectives. I learn a lot from my colleagues, and all of us contribute to the final version of our documentation website."
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Excellent written communication skills (English)
- Experience writing technical content or explaining technical concepts in blog posts, forums, emails, or other channels
- Experience coding in at least one programming language
- Willing to work in our Paris office
NICE TO HAVE:
- Love of APIs and experience documenting APIs for fun or profit
- Experience in the e-commerce or media industries
- Familiarity with SaaS business fundamentals
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Your choice of computer, phone, keyboard, headphones, you name it. Everything you need to be efficient
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours